Subject: Re: Problems getting NetBSD installed on a Jensen
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/07/2000 13:47:23
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:47:27PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>
>  > > That is ... not the case with the Adaptec 1742.
>  >
>  > OK, for the sake of discussion, what is?  Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> Either interrupt lossage or some other problem with ther 1742.
>
> In any case, probing for a non-existent drive does NOT cause this behavior.

I got exactly that behavior when it probed id0 on an alpha 3000 M300LX
box, and my drive was default set to id3 (DKA300).  When I changed it
to id0, it booted and came up fine.  When the drive was id3, it just
stopped and did nothing, just like the original poster had seen.

Why would the alpha do that?

My thought was that the probing code would just wait for something
to come back, and when nothing came back from the id it first probed
it just sat waiting.  I would possibly expect a timeout of some sort,
but in my case, I just hit the reset button, and then opened it up
and checked the drive ID, saw it was ID3, and then set it to ID0.
Then it came up fine.  That was my thought as to why the other fellow
might check the ID.  Now my curiosity is getting the better of me.
I have an old box with a 1742 in it at home.  I will have to boot
that and see what it does.

Thanks

Bob