Subject: Re: Moving a disk from pmax to alpha
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/24/2000 21:42:17
In <20000724141617.A13097@antioche.lip6.fr>
bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 12:03:58AM +0100, Nino Margetic wrote:

> > Are the pmax and alpha partitions/disks binary compatible? In other words,
> > can I just unplug a disk from a 5000/133 to plug it into a 3000/700 or do
> > I have to dump/label/newfs/restore? Both pmax and alpha are running 1.4.2.
> > TIA.
>
> I think you need to save the disklabel somewhere (disklabel sdX > fileX)
> and relabel the disk on the alpha (disklabel -r -R sdX fileX). After that
> you should be able to mount your partitions just fine.

According to sys/arch/{alpha,pmax}/include/disklabel.h,
LABELSECTOR and LABELOFFSET are same between alpha and pmax
and both of them are little endian, so I think their disklabels
are compatible.

I could mount newsmips disks on macppc and sun3 without relabeling.
(but cannot on sparc. sparc has different LABELOFFSET.)
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp