Subject: Re: pci_display_console problem, AlphaServer 1000
To: Mike Stone <bsdusr@www.yawp.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/14/2000 15:58:35
On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 05:51:24PM -0500, Mike Stone wrote:

 > just for the sake of clarity, i'm going to display my ignorance here.. to
 > me, 'serial console' means a dumb terminal, like the old ADM-3a.   the
 > kind of thing where you plug into the serial console with a hand-made null
 > modem cable, and pray that the keyboard still works.   if i'm off base
 > here, please let me know.
 >
 > that's not what i'm using.   i have a standard VGA monitor plugged into
 > the built-in video port on the back of the machine.   keyboard and mouse
 > are each plugged into their separate ports on the back of the machine, but
 > the two 9-pin connectors i associate with serial i/o are empty.
 >
 > from what i've seen looking around in the machine, video support is built
 > right into the motherboard.   there is no separate PCI card for video
 > installed at this time.

Okay.

Then will you do me a favor? :-)

Please disconnect the keyboard/mouse, plug a terminal or other
computer into the first serial port on the machine, and attempt
to boot NetBSD.  That should succeed.  Please capture the boot
messages (all the devices found, etc.) and e-mail me that info.

The reason I ask is because, while your system is reporting a
"PCI display console" to the NetBSD kernel, it's not reporting
where that PCI display console is, nor is SRM saying where it
is when you do a "show config".

The NetBSD kernel might be able to find it, tho, during its normal
device probing sequence.  It's that information that I need so that
I can special case the "PCI display console at 0/0/0" on your system.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>