Subject: bootpd question...
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: T. Martin <catfish@alltel.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/12/2000 22:31:23
 Hello,
 I'm using Linux as the bootp server trying to get NetBSD up on a
DEC3000 300.
 Heres what I got so far.....

[root@jesse /etc]# bootptest jesse
bootptest: version 2.4.0
Sending to 10.0.0.4 (request) htype:0 hlen:0 xid:4311 C:10.0.0.4
vend-rfc1395
Recvd from 10.0.0.4 (reply) htype:0 hlen:0 xid:4311 C:10.0.0.4 S:10.0.0.4
sname:"jesse" file:"/netboot" vend-rfc1395 SM:255.0.0.0 BFS:0 ROOT:"/bsd/"
HN:"dec.crash.lan" LOG:10.0.0.4

Heres what I get from SRM

>>>  boot -file netboot eas0
INIT-S-CPU...
INIT-S-ASIC...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-SCC...
INIT-S-NI...
INIT-S-SCSI...
INIT-S-ISDN...
AUDIT_BOOT_STARTS ...
AUDIT_BOOT_REQ NETBOOT
AUDIT_BOOT_RETRY

And the logs don't show it ever connecting to the bootp server
 This DEC was setup by default to boot off the 10bT eas0
I know the docs say ews0 but I don't have an ews0 entry.

 Could anyone please give me a few suggestions?

Heres the /etc/bootptab

#/etc/bootptab
dec.crash.lan:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=0000C0828AD1:\
        :sm=255.0.0.0:\
        :lg=10.0.0.4:\
        :ip=10.0.0.4:\
        :hn:\
        :bf=netboot:\
        :bs=auto:\
        :rp=/bsd/:\
        :sa=10.0.0.4:\
        :vm=auto:

And
Heres the SRM I got on the serial console.

DEC 3000 - M300
Digital Equipment Corporation
     VPP PAL V5.56-80800101/OSF PAL V1.45-80800201 - Built on  5-APR-1996
12:459

TCINFO      DEVNAM        DEVSTAT
------      --------      --------
                 CPU      OK KN16-AA -V6.7-S866-I211-sV2.0-DECchip 21064
P3.0
                 OSC      150 MHz
                ASIC      OK
                 MEM      OK
               FEROM      OK
6
                 CXT      OK
5
                 NVR      OK
                 SCC      ? 60
                  NI      OK
                ISDN      OK
4
                SCSI      OK

>>> show dev

BOOTDEV    ADDR    DEVTYPE  NUMBYTES   RM/FX  WP  DEVNAM      REV
-------    ----    -------  --------   -----  --  ------      ---
ESA0       08-00-2B-BB-50-3D , TENBT
DKA100     A/1/0   DISK     1.05GB     FX         RZ26L       440C
DKA300     A/3/0   DISK     535.65MB   FX        RZ25L     0008
..HostID..    A/7       INITR

>>> show

AUTO_ACTION = BOOT
BOOTDEF_DEV = ESA0
BOOT_OSFLAGS = 0,0
ENABLE_AUDIT = OFF
BOOT_RESET = ON
SCSI_RESET = 4
DIAG_LOE = OFF
DIAG_QUICK = OFF
DIAG_SECTION = 1
DUMP_DEV =
ETHERNET = 08-00-2B-BB-50-3D , TENBT
LANGUAGE = 3
MOP = ON
SECURE = OFF
POWERUP_TIME = {NULL}
RADIX = 0
SCSI_A = 7
TRIGGER = ON

I know alot of this might irrelavant but I wanted to show all I could.

I figure its minor I just do not know where.
Thanks a million.
Terry

catfish: icq #20116127