Subject: Re: NetBSD and Bochs
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Der Beagle <sopwith!snoopy@parsely.rain.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/09/2000 20:29:08
In message <XFMail.000709030854.root@garbled.net>, Tim Rightnour writes:

> On 08-Jul-00 Der Beagle wrote:
> > Anyone on this end have ideas?  Or know of other x86 emulators that
> > might work?
>
> I looked at this.. (only fleetingly) but the last bochs I looked at didn't
> emulate any sort of disk controller.. so netbsd had no way to talk to the disk.
>  Granted.. this was a long time ago.  Things may have changed.

I'm using bochs-2000_0325a and it emulates a floppy and a hard drive.
You can feed it a regular file or a disk partition for the hard drive.
(I suppose you could feed it an entire disk...)  I haven't tried to get
the CD-ROM stuff going.

In addition to running x86 binaries until open source takes over, bochs
might be useful as a chroot jail on steroids.

-Snoopy