Subject: NetBSD and Bochs
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Der Beagle <sopwith!snoopy@parsely.rain.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/08/2000 10:00:45
Is anyone successfully running NetBSD on Bochs?
(Bochs is a x86 emulator.  http://www.bochs.com/  )

I have Bochs running on NetBSD/alpha, (diffs to fix most of the compiler
warnings (mostly LP64 related) on request if anyone is interested) but
attempting to boot a NetBSD/i386 floppy image on Bochs panics Bochs.
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and PicoBSD give similar results.  A Linux floppy
image boots and runs, but I haven't been able to build a hard disk
image that will boot.  A freedos images from the macbochs site
http://members.xoom.com/macbochs/index.html  seems to run okay.
(The dir command runs, and that is the extent of my dos knowledge.)

I sent email to the Bocks author a few weeks ago, but no response yet.

Anyone on this end have ideas?  Or know of other x86 emulators that
might work?

Is there any hope of getting DECompaq to port their x86-to-alpha
translator to NetBSD?

thanks,
Snoopy