Subject: Booting 3000/700 (w/o MMJ)?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Nino Margetic <nino@well.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/04/2000 01:49:38
Hi,

I can happily boot either the 1.4.2 or the 1.5 snapshot over the net (off
a NetBSD/pmax), but the default kernel insists on switching to the serial
console - and I do *not* have the (in)famous MMJ cable...

I've added swap over nfs to /etc/bootparams and edited rc.conf for the
system to go multiuser as well as setting the -a prom flag...

I can ping the system but I can't login into it as none of the daemons are
started (rpcinfo -p alpha reports that portmapper hasn't started)...
Aargh...

Some messages in the archive seem to indicate that it might be possible to
compile a kernel with a (some kind of) pmag in the text mode (wscons?) on
certain systems.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to boot and run a 3000/700 completely over the net? At
least in the first instance (to compile a kernel)?

2. Is it possible to compile a kernel with a text console support for a
3000/700 or am I doomed to failure w/o a MMJ cable?

3. Where can I get a (cheap :-) MMJ cable (I'm not a hardware person) -
has anyone got any spares?? :-)) I've got bits of DS5000 for trading. :-)

TIA.

--Nino

---
Nino Margetic <nino@well.ox.ac.uk>  |  http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/~nino
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford  &
Centre National de Genotypage, Evry, France  |  mailto: <nino@cng.fr>
---