Subject: Re: Alpha bootable CDs
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/20/2000 14:43:47
Robert Elz wrote:

> Can someone confirm that the correct procedure ought to be:
>
> Put a netbsd (or even perhaps several different netbsd's) in the root
> of the CD (9660) filesystem (netbsd's that when booted will be able to
> run in this environment - an instkernel is what I am likely to use
> initially anyway, so the rest of the CD contents are irrelevant).
>
> Put /usr/mdec/boot in the root of the CD as well.
>
> Run installboot giving the image name, and bootxx_cd9660 as the args.
>
> Is that all it should take?  (Aside from building the 9660 image,
> copying the result onto a CD, ...)

That's pretty much it.  installboot puts bootxx_cd9660 into the first
7.5k of the image.  That locates and loads "/boot" on the on iso
filesystem and than then loads the kernel.

This is pretty much the same mechanism for pmax and vax as well...

> Lastly, have there been any significant changes to the boot code between
> 1.4 and -current ?

Not that I know off - my home alpha is -current somewhere around 1.4T
and still uses 1.4.1 bootblocks.

Simon.