Subject: DEC3000/300 stuff.
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: ADAM Sulmicki <adam@cfar.umd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/18/2000 18:56:30
After a long break, I'm again playing with it.

I have put NetBSD 1.4.2 on it. Installation went fine.
Using ":vm=rfc1048:" let me go around bugs in v7.0 firmware.

Now, checking email archives, someone said that if I grab
NetBSD-current kernel, the console/keyboard/mice should work.

I grabbed sys.src.tgz from current directory yesterday, and compiled it.
However, when I boot it I got those messages on serial console.

sfb0 at tc0 slot 6 offset 0x2000000: 1280 x 1024, 8bpp
wsdisplay0 at sfb0
configuring wscons
wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (std, vt100 emulation)
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory

on the display itself first is "normal" white text of booting.
Then it switches to dark red (hard to read) w/ final line
"SWITCHING TO SERIAL CONSOLE", When booting finish I get
small (unreadable login prompt) at middle of screen.

I have also grabbed lattest wsconscfg from current directory and
installed it as well but it does not fix the problem.

Another issue, LKM. When last looked into it the problem was that LKM was
AOUT based and kernel was ELF based. I recall someone pointing me to
patches making LKM support ELF. Did they made into kernel souces (It does
not seems to me like they did). And what's status of LKM on Alpha anyway?

--
Adam
http://www.eax.com	The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers