Subject: Re: Changing MAC addresses?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/15/2000 13:44:46
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> I wish to cause one or both of those to run with a different MAC
> address than its default.  (More specifically, I want the machine to
> use the same MAC address on some subset of its interfaces.)  I'm
> prepared to hack drivers as necessary...

Are you going to be adding facilities to the kernel so that we can set
hardware-level addresses for an interface in the same way that we can
set higher-level addresses?

It would be nice to have user-land fail-over programs be able to take
over for another machine with `ifconfig le0 ethernet 8:0:20:12:34:56'
or whatever.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
  Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes