Subject: Re: ncr53c810 driver
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/10/2000 14:19:53
> > probe(siop0:6:0): command timeout

> No error messages before this line ?
> What king of controller is it  (dmesg lines please) ?

It's a 53c895/KZPCA, the one that ships with the XP1000.

I can't easily get the dmesg output from the siop driver.  It doesn't
work well enough for me to get that far.  It doesn't find any disks
so I end up with this:

    siop0: scsi bus reset
    WARNING: can't figure what device matches "SCSI 0 12 0 1 100 0 0"
    root device:
    use one of: ti0 fxp0 fxp1 fxp2 fxp3 fd0[a-h] tlp0 fpa0 tlp1 halt
    root device: halt
    syncing disks... done
    halted.

Here is what the ncr driver says:

    ncr0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: ncr 53c895 fast40 wide scsi
    ncr0: interrupting at dec 6600 irq 36
    ncr0: minsync=25, maxsync=254, maxoffs=31, 128 dwords burst, large dma fifo
    ncr0: single-ended, open drain IRQ driver, using on-chip SRAM
    ncr0: restart (scsi reset).

The siop info in my previous message was the top of a dmesg printout
after going through a halt/reboot cycle.  Where does that info get
saved?  I assume it's a buffer in memory someplace.  Who owns/allocates
that buffer?  Can I easily make it bigger?  (so I can get more info
from the previous attempt)

I'll see if I can hookup a RS232 cable and grab the printout that
way.