Subject: fatal kernel trap
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Melville <eric@rigelfore.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/10/2000 12:08:50
I _finally_ got NetBSD-1.4.2 installed on my alpha. Turns out I had to
nuke the entire disk by dd'ing 2157 megs of /dev/zero to my drive (where
exactly was that damned disklabel located?)

Anyways, now I've got a new issue. I've tried to keep the machine up
since it was installed, without much luck. Over the last 12 hours, I've
had 3 fatal kernel traps, one 5 minutes in, one 10 hours in, and one 11
hours in (approximated times). The first time it happened I was using
the GENERIC kernel. Then I compiled a kernel called FRESNO (compiled
perfectly clean). The new kernel seems just fine, but I still got two
more fatal traps.

This is what the latest one looked like:

fatal kernel trap:
	trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
	a0         = 0x4000048
	a1         = 0x1
        a2         = 0x0
        pc         = 0xfffffc000036ced0
	ra         = 0xfffffc000036ce94
	curproc    = 0xfffffc0000bead58
	pid = 166, comm = update
panic: trap
Stopped in update at Debugger + 0x4: ret zero,(ra)
db>

(The formatting isn't perfect, but I think all the data is correct)

What is going on here? Please let me know if you need me to post the
message that came while I was running the GENERIC kernel.

-E