Subject: Re: Multia diagnostic translation needed
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/08/2000 15:38:14
David Woyciesjes writes:
> I have a Multia, VX42B-F2 ( 233 MHz) ...
>
> I try to start it ( no drives connected, 64 MB RAM installed ) the
> diagnostic light comes on and flashes a repeating pattern of  long, then
> short. It also comes out of the speaker with alternating high/low tomes,
> alongside the flashing light... The manual says it's a hex code, but I don't
> know how to translate it... Previous owner says this means it's "bad flash
> memory"... If so, I would assume that the group of chips under the floppy
> drive that have "Flash (some other info)" are the flash memory chips?

You should be able to use the "fail safe loader" feature to load the
firmware from floppy.  It should be covered in the Multia user guide.
(which you can find on the net in pdf format)

You might also be suffering the heat death problem.  The user guide
should list the diagnostic code that the LED is flashing.  On my 166
Multia (when it died) the code flashed was one long, n (11?) short which
I looked up in the guide.  It was a memory or cache error.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.