Subject: Re: fxp1: device timeout and panic: pool_get(%s): free list modified
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/06/2000 21:54:32
On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 12:44:18PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:

> > This looks a whole lot like a problem I had with my PC164 system;
> > totally stable until I added a Qlogic ISP1020 PCI controller to it
>
> Interesting suggestion.  Thanks.
>
> This system does have a QLogic chip/card.  (2 actually.)
>
> The hardware works fine with Tru64.  I wonder if there is some obscure
> restriction I/we don't know about.
>
>     isp1 at pci2 dev 9 function 0
>     isp1: interrupting at dec 550 irq 16
>     isp1: Ultra Mode Capable
>     isp1: Board Revision 1040B, loaded F/W Revision 4.65.0
>     isp1: Last F/W revision was 5.57.1

Looks like the driver is loading older firmware than the SRM console.

Bad idea.. Had quite some trouble with an Aspen Alpine who had an
SRM loading old f/w. On that machine I had to make the *driver* load newer
firmware.

I'm not sure about the isp driver for NetBSD, but for FreeBSD there
is a config file option to disable the f/w loading by the driver:

#       SCSI_ISP_NO_FWLOAD_MASK - mask of isp unit numbers (obviously
#                                 a max of 32) that you wish to disable
#                                 to disable the loading of firmware on.

Maybe useful to check if the NetBSD isp driver has something like this?

> Note that the Qlogic chip (above) is behind a bridge.  So are the
> 82558s I'm haveing troubles with.  They are on a quad card with bridge
> chip.  These are new Miatas so I don't think they have the page crossing
> problem anyway.

The Miata GL does not have the Pyxis problem.

--
Wilko Bulte  	FreeBSD, the power to serve  	http://www.freebsd.org
						http://www.nlfug.nl