Subject: Re: fxp1: device timeout and panic: pool_get(%s): free list
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/06/2000 11:51:37
This looks a whole lot like a problem I had with my PC164 system;
totally stable until I added a Qlogic ISP1020 PCI controller to it
($40 at WeirdStuff Warehouse!). This is a 32-bit PCI, Narrow SCSI-2
controller. Once that was added to the system, my DEC TULIP 10/100
Ethernet card started coughing up blood ("master abort") usually
ending in a "corrupted pool" panic. Didn't matter whether I used the
"de" or "tlp" driver.

What I ended up doing was changing the single-port DE500 for a
multiport TULIP board where all four 21143's are behind a 21152
PCI-PCI bridge. This made everything happy again. These beasties can
usually be bought off ebay for around $100 - $120.

My guess is that the Qlogic board is doing something on the PCI bus
that it shouldn't (or perhaps either the isp driver, or the board
firmware is doing ...). I thinking of trading that Qlogic board out
for an NCR 53c87x board, once I'm convinced that Manuel's "siop"
driver is up to snuff; I'm testing now...

	Erik <fair@clock.org>