Subject: Re: AlphaServer 1200 memory layout
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: David Burren <david@burren.cx>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/24/2000 22:01:34
Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 04:41:27PM +1000, David Burren wrote:
>
>  > I can understand that having the memory split would be advantageous (in
>  > general) for multi-CPU setups, but does anyone know if I will get any
>  > advantage (e.g. from interleaving) if I move both DIMMs to mcmem0?  I
>  > don't have any doco for the machine :-(  If no-one knows, I'll swap the
>  > memory and run some benchmarks in the next few days.
>
> This I don't know ... I'll see if I can find my Rawhide docs.

Thanks.  I don't have any answer yet myself, just some more details.

I had the machine open today and took the memory riser cards out to have
a look.  They each have two 128 MB DIMMs (in slots 0 and 1 - there are 8
slots on each card). I hesitated when I saw the words:

	Note: DIMM configuration of this memory card must be the
	same as the other companion memory card in the system.

This makes sense but I'm not sure that it implies that there must be two
memory cards.

Anyway, I'd made a few other changes to the system (reconfiguring the
StorageWorks box, changing PCI cards, etc) and figured I'd get the
system back up and get back to the memory issue later.

At the moment I'm still aiming to do experiments, but anything anyone
can tell me about it will help.
__
David Burren