Subject: RE: The _weirdest_ segfault...
To: Jeff Roberson <jroberson@aventail.com>
From: Andreas Falck <faland-7@sm.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/17/2000 22:05:07
On Wed, 17 May 2000, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> Crashes in malloc are almost always due to overflowing some allocated area
> or free()ing the same memory twice.  You have some how managed to corrupt
> your heap.

Sounds likely, since we were 3 members in the project group and we've been
passing pointers between each other a lot. The memory in question then
goes into a struct representing a command line and could end up anywhere
in the shell.

> Does anyone know if NetBSD's libc has a malloc that watches for multiples
> frees etc?  This is the only feature of glibc that I have ever liked..

Could explain why it works on FreeBSD and Linux on x86. Thanks!

/Andreas