Subject: Re: snap 20000505 problem
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Mocha <netbsd_alpha@yahoo.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/13/2000 00:31:00
At 09:58 PM 5/12/00 -0700, R. C. Dowdeswell wrote:

>On 958191895 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
>Mocha wrote:
> >
> >i have no idea what is in my box! let me go look at the dmegs.. brb. ok..
> >dmegs says:
> >
> >vga0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Digital Equipment TGA2 (rev. 0x22)
> >
> >i was able to compile a -current kernel and reboot with it, and got the
> >same error. 1.4.2 worked fine though.. with the generic kernel.
>
>That is coincidentally one of my favourite cards, if it is being recognised
>correctly.  It shouldn't be attaching as a vga, though.  So, I have a couple
>of questions.  If you pull the card out, does it have a Bt485a RAMDAC or
>something else (probably a IBM561 or something.)
>
>Anyway, if you look on it, it may have a jumper labeled VGA.  If you change
>the state of that does it work?

ok here are the big chips on that extended card.

Silver IBM chip:
   R0700487
   21-43826-01
   26H3574
   BTVBR09708

Black Cirrus Logic chip:
   CL-GD5424-800QC-C

Greenish/Teal IBM chip with a diamond in the middle:
   37RGB561CF17-B
   03H9322
   9314
   Palette DAC
   19618004ZZ

The card is pretty long in extended length with a metal 'u' shape handle at
the end. There is a jumper labeled VGAEN (VGA Enable?). and it's jumped
(connected) together. I'll remove the jumper and see what happens when i
boot up again. What mode is recommended? enabled or not for netbsd?