Subject: Re: making a custom boot floppy
To: nm <nm@vt.edu>
From: Yubyub bird <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/05/2000 19:56:53
nm said on 2000-05-05:

> At 05:04 PM 5/5/00 -0500, Graham Allan wrote:
> <snip>
> >Do you mean an Alphastation 200? i thought those all had an
> >SRM-supported narrow SCSI controller on the motherboard? Sorry if I'm
> >missing something...
>
> Yes, it is an AlphaStation 200.  These DO have an onboard, SRM-supported
> fast/narrow controller.  The two disks I have in this machine are
> high performance ultra/wide disks so I really want to have them
> on an ultra/wide controller.

I used the following hack on an AS 200 4/166...

I put an Adaptec 2940UW in the machine (initiates at ID 7).
I set the onboard NCR SCSI to initiate at ID 6.
I connected the Adaptec, the NCR and the disks on a single chain.
Create a boot kernel which only knows about the Adaptec SCSI card.

Boot, and voila - the kernel is laoded off the NCR, but since the kernel
doesn't know about the NCR, the adaptec becomes the primary SCSI.  So I
can boot, and still enjoy the pleasures of UW SCSI.

Cool, huh? ;-)

-yubyub
croquette - n.  A small cake of minced | SMTP: yubyub@yubyub.net
 food, such as poultry, vegetables, or | http://www.yubyub.net
 fish, that is usually coated with     | NetBSD on Sparc, Alpha
 bread crumbs and fried in _deep fat_. |  i386, Mac68k, VAX