Subject: making a custom boot floppy
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: nm <nm@vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/05/2000 17:10:14
I am lucky enough to have an AS200 system.

My disks are on a PCI adaptec 2940uw controller.  Since SRM
on this model cannot use the adaptec controller I would like
to see about booting the kernel from a floppy disk.

What should I do to make a single boot floppy that contains a
kernel?  The floppy drive is a 1.44MB drive and so I am
beginning to wonder if a 1.4.2 kernel with tcpip, some fs's,
ethernet, scsi, etc... will fit (stripped/gzip'd) on a 1.44MB
disk?

Hmm... the other bummer is that the case has no room inside
for a small 'hard boot disk' :(

I am beginning to think that I am out of luck until I buy an
SRM compatible controller like the Tekram DC-390F.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Nick Maniscalco
nmanisca@vt.edu