Subject: First two Dumb Questions of May
To: alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: HerbalGypsy/justbobthebard <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/02/2000 19:55:20
Ok, I have not asked many dumb questions lately, and none this month -
yet.

Background:
PC164, 20GB IDE, Virage Video, Keyboard, mouse, dec pci ether, 64MB of
RAM, IDE CD drive.

Dumb Questions:
How do I set my environment so that my video console is seen as
a vt100? and directly related - Can I use the video console to run vi?

With the system booted, mount -a after booting in single user, got all
my stuff, but want to do some edits on various things.  I try to do
a env TERM=vt100, I get the env display, with vt100 at the bottom of
the env list, but if I then try vi, i get kicked out cause term is
not defined.  do an env, get no vt100 on the list.

Am I just being stupid and really knowing I should be running the
serial console, am I being stubborn???
thanks
bob