Subject: Re: pinouts for mmj
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/25/2000 02:13:17
Ross Harvey wrote:

> > From: Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
> >
> > http://www.partner.digital.com:9003/public/cheat_sheets/cables/padapters.html
> > Finally the correct pinouts right from DEC. Tom's pinouts are wrong in
> > the NetBSD FAQ.
>
> Can you expand on this a little for us?  E.g., which NetBSD FAQ are you
> referring to, and what's the pinout discrepancy?
NetBSD/Alpha faq

> ISTM that if I start with the NetBSD/alpha faq at
>
>         http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/faq.html#serial-consoles
>
> and follow the links and search directions to the MMJ in Tommy's pinout
> collection, then it does give exactly the same MMJ pinout.
>
> Now, I do see a small difference in the recommended wiring for the MMJ to
> DB25-F adapter, where Tommy says MMJ/DSR <-> DB25/DSR but the referenced
> DEC document wants MMJ/DSR split to both DSR and CD on the DB25. An im-
> provement, to be sure, but not really a wrong vs right difference, and
> not easily constructed with a standard connector kit. :-)

Wired as per Tommy's or the NetBSD faq the KB does not function. Pins
4+5 and 6+8 must be jumped on the DB25(H8575-A) side for it to function
correctly. On a DB9(H8571-J) 1+6+8 must be jumped. The mmp wire needs to
be a crossover too. As shown in the faq it is correct for a modem
connection.(H8575-D)

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group