Subject: Re: SOFTDEP working on alpha?
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/20/2000 23:06:30
<paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> (Paul Mather) writes:

> Does anyone have soft updates working on their NetBSD/alpha filesystems?
> I made a 1.4X (-current) kernel in which I enabled "options SOFTDEP",
> but when I enabled soft updates on a FFS filesystem running that kernel,
> the machine did a panic and reboot at the first write to that
> filesystem.

Never seen that happen on mine...

> Does anyone have this enabled on any of their filesystems and running
> successfully?  I'm running on a DEC 3000/300 if that makes any
> difference.

13 daffy-duck:nathanw>mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local, soft dependencies)
/dev/wd0d on /u1 type ffs (NFS exported, local, soft dependencies)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
mfs:139 on /tmp type mfs (asynchronous, local)
14 daffy-duck:nathanw>uname -a
NetBSD daffy-duck.putnam 1.4X NetBSD 1.4X (DAFFY-DUCK) #104: Thu Apr 20 01:07:09 EDT 2000     nathanw@daffy-duck.putnam:/u1/nbsd/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/DAFFY-DUCK alpha

which is a totally bleeding-edge kernel. I've been running with
softdeps enabled on this machine for..... several months,
anyway. Works great.

        - Nathan