Subject: Re: what's this machine check mean?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/2000 20:09:39
> So, while I'm asking, the documentation says that one particular part
> of the board needs to be connected to the case for ground.

> Is that true?

I don't know.  Mine isn't - I have no case around the board to connect
it to, and it's not clear from the doco just what it is that it expects
to be connected to: power supply output ground, earth ground, what?

> Is it conventional to have motherboards connected to the case?  Isn't
> this sort of thing best handled through the power supply?

Very few power supplies have an earth-ground output line.  Ideally, all
of the power supply's output lines are well isolated from any input
lines (though this is admittedly unlikely to be true of a switching
power supply); the connection the doc speaks of may be a precaution to
ensure that the board ground is earthed even if the power supply ground
isn't.

> Oh, and is it possible to buy pre-built latch kits for the diagnostic
> lights?

Can't say; I haven't looked, and unless it's quite cheap I wouldn't buy
one anyway - I believe my digital logic skill is sufficient to handle
setting up two 377s. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca