Subject: Re: NetBSD vs. Red Hat Linux 5.2 vs. WinNT4
To: <>
From: HerbalGypsy/justbobthebard <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/14/2000 18:01:12
Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 01:46:02PM -0400, David Woyciesjes wrote:
>
> >       ---My friend has a unused copy (still in shrink-wrap) of Red Hat
> > Linux 5.2.. The Extra! edition w/ power tools and stuff. The Red Hat box
> > includes everything I'm looking for, http, ftp, XWindows, and more... But
> > I'm not sure about NAT to share my IP address (soon to be DSL connection!).
>
> I have no idea on Linux, I never used it, nor do I intend to to be honest.

I have tried Linux, on both PC and Alpha.  Did not quite jell in the
alpha.
I might have a twisted mind so that might be the problem. Just did not
like the way it worked.  Close to BSD, but...just...not quite right.
I do hate windows and intel, altho I am forced to use them, so...that
might be
a bias on my part!

> >       ---Or am I better off, as a beginner to the Unix-type systems, with
> > NetBSD? What folders on the FTP site exactly would I need for a DEC Multia
> > 166? I'll have to use a 3Com PCMCIA as the second NIC card for the IP
> > routing duties.
>
> I think the NetBSD website tells you what you need. Or otherwise the README
> (or similarly named file) on the ftp site. As for the details you would need
> a NetBSD/multia user to comment.
The only thing that seems to be missing from NetBSD is PPPOE for DSL
usage, but
there is this fine lurker who put one together, and now that I have my
alphas
straightened out - I hosed up the disks - I will try to get it going on
alpha!!
bob