Subject: Re: WSS on Multia UDB
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/03/2000 16:44:58
> From port-alpha-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Mon Apr  3 13:28 PDT 2000
> To: "John A. Maier" <johnam@kemper.org>
> Cc: "port-alpha@netbsd.org" <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: WSS on Multia UDB
> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:27:52 -0700
> From: "R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
>

> On 954720120 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> "John A. Maier" wrote:
> >

> >3) Looking at the board it seems that there is at least 2 megs of video
> >memory, so what's up with only 8bit video?  I realize it is not a NetBSD
> >thing, since the startup video test is obviously 8bit.
>
> It is actually possible, I think to set up 16 bit colour, and I've
> been thinking about doing this.  It won't be in 1.5, though.

If you read the Multia hardware manual, you will learn that the TGA
video generator has only 8 bits worth of DAC.  So it can't do more than
8-bit color no matter how you arrange the video RAM.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu