Subject: Mounting SCSI Zip Drive
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Ernst <Tobias_Ernst@sungate-ftn.fido.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/28/2000 10:02:16
* Original to:   yardie@vt.edu (Joseph Chin)
* Carbon Copies: port-alpha@netbsd.org

Hallo Joseph!

 JC> I have my Zip Drive connected to the external scsi port of my DEC
 JC> 3000/300LX. during boot it shows up as sd1. how do I get it to
mount
 JC> my Windows and Mac disks?

Same setup here (3000/300, with internal scsi zip as sd1, NetBSD 1.4).
I use the following commands to mount it:

/bin/sleep 5 </dev/rsd1c&
/usr/sbin/mbrlabel sd1
/sbin/mount_msdos -l /dev/sd1a /zip

It is important that the sleep command is still running until the
mount_msdos command is completed, so when you enter this interactively,
increase the number 5 to 30 or so. - The mbrlabel command will give you
a whole bunch of "unaligned access" warnings, but don't care, it works
nevertheless.

This will mount the ZIP, but it will not work reliably on plain NetBSD
1.4. I had a PR open for over a year that was finally closed some weeks
ago thanks to Jaromir Dolecek. It involved a number of 5 kernel patches
that were invovled until the MSDOS file system finally worked properly.
Without these patches, you will frequently observe NetBSD to grunge the
file system on the ZIP.

I don't know if these patches already went into NetBSD 1.4.2. Perhaps
Jaromir could comment on this?

If you want, I can sent the patches to you via e-mail.

BTW, the MSDOS file system of course only supports "Windows" style ZIP
disks. I don't think NetBSD supports the Macintosh HFS file system.
Perhaps you can use hfsutils to copy files onto or off from the ZIP,
but you won't be able to mount this. I never tried hfsutils on NetBSD,
though.

Kind Regards,
Tobias