Subject: Re: Problems on some terminals
To: Oliver Frick <ofrick@dplanet.ch>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/27/2000 22:13:53
> i use NetBSD on Alpha about 8 months.
> With some terminals, i notice a strange behaviour:
>
> The first line appears, then the login:
>
> I type my username, then the password: appears.
> I type the password and press Enter as usual, but....
> nothing. No response from the server.... It seems that the connection
> is not dropped, but i dont receive anything.

I've not seen this with NetBSD/alpha, specifically, but often have on
other UNIX variants.  In my experience, it is almost always a parity
problem, usually, a terminal set to generate 7E (rather than 8N) on
transmit and ignore parity on receive.  The username is accepted with
parity stripped, but the password isn't; carriage return is an
odd-parity character (0001101), so at seven-even it's transmitted as
10001101, which doesn't get accepted as a CR.  Try typing LINEFEED (or,
equivalently, ^J) after the password - see if you get some kind of
response, probably the usual incorrect-password response.  That's an
even-parity character (0001010) and hence will be transmitted with a 0
parity bit in this circumstance.

> Anybody has the same problem ? I have it only with NetBSD Hosts. All
> other Servers are working fine with every telnet program i try.

I've never seen it with telnet, only with directly-connected terminals.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca