Subject: Re: DEC 21142 Ethernet not working at 100Mb/S
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/2000 13:31:22
On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 02:52:35AM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:

> > I've got a 21142 ethernet card in my PWS433a:
> > supported Ethernet media:
> >     media 10base5
> >     media 10base2
> >     media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
> >     media 10baseT
>
> > How can I enable 100baseT mode?  I have a friend with an identical
> > computer/configuration, and his computer comes up in 100baseT mode
> > and seems to work fine.
>
> Are you sure they are identical?
>
> I think there are two separate small cards that mount on the back
> of the machine and hold the media chip and connectors.  Check your
> system to make sure it looks like the other one.

Correct. There is one card with BNC/AUI connectors that allows 10base* only.
The other one only has a RJ45 plug for 10baseT and 100baseT. The latter card
is connected to a different connector (via a different model cable) to the
PCI riser card in the bottom half of the cabinet.

> Another way that might help is to do something like

Which only works for the right card, a 10base*-only card will not allow
setting to 100base*

Wilko (who has done such an upgrade himself)
--
Wilko Bulte 			Arnhem, The Netherlands
http://www.tcja.nl  		The FreeBSD Project: http://www.freebsd.org