Subject: Re: improved video console support for DEC3000
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/16/2000 18:22:15
>> DEC3000 now uses MI sfb.c TC framebuffer driver which
>> sports improved faster text rendering assisted by SFB hardware
>> accelerator.
>
> I realized the performance boost is far less than optimal.  It used to
> run faster.  I'm going to make changes next 12 hours to retain the
> rendering capacity.

I changed it.  New HX code has a caveat, however.  It's useful only
with larger fonts; GALLANT12x22 or LUCIDA16x29.  If smaller fonts are
specified, kernel will bomb.  Solution in MI side is planned.  Also
new DEC3000 console has 34x80 by default (should be a moderate size
than 40+ by 100+ covers 1280x1024 screen entirely).

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology