Subject: RE: Realistic NMBCLUSTERS limit?
To: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/11/2000 14:55:55
> Alpha-specific?  Tulip driver-specific?  Has anyone else on this list
> experienced this?  Does your system come back up on the network after an
> NMBCLUSTERS error?

I've seen that message/problem in two cases.

In the first case, I got the message occasionally while doing normal
network things.  It recovered.  I don't remember the configuration
I was using.  I'm sure the system had many network cards.  I made
NMBCLUSTERS bigger and the annoying messages stopped.

In the second case, I had a machine with a quad Intel 82558 card.
That eats up all the buffers in the default allocation.  I also had
a few other cards in that box.  It didn't recover.  (Note that this
means you can't do a network install.  There is a PR for this.)