Subject: egcs-1.1.1 complains about -mcpu=ev56
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.lila.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/11/2000 00:25:24
Apologies if this has already been reported, but...

I was experimenting with compiler optimizations on my Miata (21164A)
and decided it would be worth turning on the byte-word extensions.
According to the documentation, there is a -mcpu= flag that defaults
to ev4, but can be set to ev5 (21164), ev56 (21164A), or ev6.  The
only difference between ev5 and ev56 is with ev56 the byte-word
extensions are used.

When I tell egcs to compile with -mcpu=ev56, the compiler succeessfully
compiles the code but then the assembler chokes:

/tmp/cc6VQu7P.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc6VQu7P.s:148: Error: macro requires $at register while no at in
effect

This is with egcs-1.1.1 release (egcs/gcc 2.91.60).  I can't compile a
newer egcs from pkgsrc because it won't build on the Alpha.  I also
tried getting gcc 2.95.2 (the latest snapshot) from Cygnus but although
it seems to configure itself for netbsd-unknown-alpha OK, the compiler
fails during the stage2 bootstrap process.

Anyone else run into this?

- Bill Dorsey