Subject: Re: fddi cards
To: None <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/08/2000 18:10:50
   On March 7, Hal Murray wrote:
   > It might be cheaper to replace the 10BaseT hub with something that
   > had a 100BaseT port.  DEFPAs might be more fun.  Your call.

     ...but 100baseT switches aren't cheap, and they're virtually a
   requirement if you're running more than a few hosts and want to get
   anywhere near acceptable (i.e. rated 100mbps) network performance
   with 100mb ethernet.  CSMA/CD, y'know.

Ummm..  don't know about FDDI...  however...

While, certain switches are not cheap...  If you can live with unmanaged 5
to 8 port versions and are not adverse to buy Linksys brand products, an
ethernet switch can be had for around $100 U.S. now.  I have two, one a 5
port and one an 8 port in my apartment.  They seem to do 10BaseT and
100BaseT half and full duplex reasonably well.

     FDDI requires no such expensive equipment to get near 100mbps
   between hosts...and besides, it's cool. ;-)

		-Dave McGuire

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]