Subject: Re: NIS (YP) broken on alpha?
To: None <Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/29/2000 16:24:10
On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:16:24 +1300 (NZDT)
 Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz wrote:

 > On  1 Mar, Olaf Seibert wrote:
 > > A strings on passwd.byname.db suggests that the data is in
 > > the database but it's not getting out.
 >
 > This is likely to be red herring, but the thought of using the Berkeley
 > DB V1 code on any LP64 machine makes me shudder. AFAIK that is the
 > version that NetBSD uses. I am not sure why NetBSD doesn't just use the
 > latest code from Sleepycat. Perhaps it is the license.

Well, two things:

	(1) My Alpha at home is an NIS server and client, and it works
	    fine, running -current as of yeterday.

	(2) Our Berkeley DB has been fixed up quite a lot, and yes,
	    Sleepycat DB (I personally refuse to call the Sleepycat
	    version "Berkeley DB") has an unacceptable license.