Subject: No luck with Java
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/29/2000 17:04:09
I got /emul/osf1 on the go, but, alas, no luck getting Compaq's JDK
1.1.8 (which I use under Digital Unix) to run.  I get "Bad System
Call," which, after appropriate use of ktrace and kdump, I find to be
caused by the infamous "task_self" MACH system call, as writ large in
the FAQ.  So I'm guessing I'm out of luck there.

I also tried guavac from the ports collection.  It sometimes works, but
then again, it will also dump core trying to compile Java code that JDK
1.1.8 will happily compile.

Although they indicate on the TransVirtual WWW site that kaffe 1.0.5
will work on alpha for NetBSD 1.x, they must not mean the NetBSD/alpha
1.4 I have running on *my* alpha. :-(  It won't build, never mind
run.  (Maybe 4 is not a valid x?;)

Looking at the other Java prospects under /usr/pkgsrc/lang, I find that
neither japhar nor jikes are for alpha. :-(

I notice that GCC 2.95 is supposed to have Java support (GCJ), but a
quick look at their FAQ indicates they don't support JDK 1.1 inner
classes, so that's not much use to me. :-(

I guess I'm out of luck running this "platform independent" language on
my NetBSD/alpha platform. :-(

Not that I'm very hopeful, but has anyone managed to do any Java
programming on their NetBSD/alpha system?  I'd actually be satisfied
just to be able to compile/syntax check the Java classes I'm working on,
as they're destined to be run elsewhere.

Clutching at straws...

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu