Subject: Re: Audio on PWS433a
To: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.lila.com>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/29/2000 11:16:38
"Bill Dorsey" wrote:

>I recently bought a PWS433a and a friend helped me install and bring up the
>0212 release of 1.4.2 on it.  It's been up for about two weeks now and seems
>to run quite nicely except the audio driver is misbehaving.  At startup, the
>kernel outputs the following messages about the audio hardware:
>
>     sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.01
>     audio0 at sb0: half duplex
>     opl at sb0 not configured
>     sb: can't map i/o space 0x220/24 in probe
>
>Any applications which attempt to use the audio device fail to run properly
>(most notably, my mpeg audio player).  However, the keyboard beep does
>seem to work.  Has anyone else seen this and come up with a workaround?

Being the friend mentioned above I was thinking that this might
have something to do with the Pyxis chipset bug (which this machine
does have) and its interaction with ISA DMA (sb0 being the only
ISA device on the system which does DMA.)

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==