Subject: Warning: snapshot-20000215
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/27/2000 19:28:57
G'day,

just a warning after a bad experience this weekend during an attempt
to upgrade my system to snapshot-20000215....

This snapshot is build based on kerberos and other security libraries
which for obvious reasons didn't make it into the distribution. With
this in mind, it was impossible to even login into my trusted server.

root@dingo# file login
login: setuid ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version
1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

root@dingo# ldd login
login:
	-lutil.5 => /usr/lib/libutil.so.5
	-lcrypt.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.0
	-lskey.0 => /usr/lib/libskey.so.0
	-lkrb5.1 => not found
	-lk5crypto.1 => not found
	-lcom_err.2 => not found
	-lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

To make things worse, I've downloaded this distribution from
ftp.au.netbsd.org and hence didn't bother to check it before
commencing the upgrade.... sigh.... (my fault I suppose)

I've tried to salvage the situation by recompiling the defunct
binaries in single user mode, but gave up in the end as it
was to tedious using a 33.6K modem link. I've since re-installed
NetBSD-1.4 using a CDROM image which I made just in case.

Needless to say, I've wasted the better part of my weekend and didn't
get around to do my study as for part of the work I needed my network
and would hate to see someone else to go through this trouble again.

Now, would someone be able to create an exportable snapshot for
the international (outside US) NetBSD die-hards... :-)

BTW: Has there been any changes in the behaviour of pppd since
NetBSD-1.4? It definitely didn't work with various error messages
regarding missing secrets and the likes... although everything was
setup ready to go.... Perhaps this was another unresolved conflict
with missing libraries.

Many thanks in advance

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes