Subject: Re: DEC 3000/300
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/2000 13:40:44
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Paul Mather wrote:

> The "set auto_action boot" will cause the machine to boot from power-on
> (instead of halting at the PROM prompt) *unless* there are hardware test
> errors.  My reading of the "set server on" (if there is such a
> beast:) is that this is a way to tell it to ignore those (keyboard and
> video) errors and boot anyway.
>
> It would be great to know if this works, because my 3000/300 fails the
> framebuffer hardware test, and so won't boot from power on.  (That's
> annoying, because I don't have a keyboard and monitor for it, so I have
> to boot via the serial port connection from my DECstation 3100.)

  The 3000/500 Owners Guide I have states (under available environment
variables):

server	Sets the system to server status, thus		ON for DEC 3000
	determining which startup tests are		AXP MOdel 500S
	performed.					server

  This sounds like if "server" is "ON", it would not perform the checks
for the keyboard/display.  I don't know if this is applicable to the
3000/300 though.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant