Subject: Broken DDB in 1.4.1?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Roberson <nomad@nop.aliensystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/24/2000 16:01:20
Does anyone have any problems using DDB in 1.4.1?  I can't generate back
traces no matter what I do.   This happens on both a AlphaStation 200
4/233, and a Digital Personal Workstation 500a.  Both of them are running
1.4.1.  Is this a known issue?  Have I misconfigured something?  I can
break into DDB just fine through CTRL+ALT+ESC, or the Debugger() function
in the kernel.  It works great on my sparc, but unfortunately my sparc is
slow and I don't know sparc assembly well enough to do what I'd like to.

Also on both of these machines gdb behaves poorly.  Here's a sample of
that:

#0  0x16029a908 in kill ()
warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x1fffff268
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post'
command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.

This happens no matter what I'm debugging.  It's rather suspicious to me
that both debuggers are broken in similar ways (no back traces).  Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff