Subject: Re: DPWS500/Pyxis bugs, corrupt memory etc.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/24/2000 23:58:12
On Tue 22 Feb 2000 at 23:51:21 +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:

> I applied this patch on my 1.4.1 kernel sources. Unfortunately, as soon
> as I did a disklabel wd0, I got a "memory management fault" or something
> like that, so I backed it out again. Maybe it was because ithe patch did
> not apply cleanly, or not all required files were really recompiled, or
> something. Instead, for now I just disabled ide dme completely, and that
> seems to work fine. At some point I'll switch to 1.4.2 anyway, and I'll
> try -current too.

I just tried -current, supped just a few moments ago. No go :-(.
Mounting wd0a gives "incorrect superblock". Disklabel output seems ok.
I tried a fsck -n, and was rewarded with a memory management fault,
according to the trace command inside dkcksum() in readdisklabel().

fatal kernel trap:

    trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
    a0         = 0xfffffe0002260000
    a1         = 0x1
    a2         = 0x0
    pc         = 0xfffffc000034e5a0
    ra         = 0xfffffc00004deefc
    curproc    = 0xfffffc0000a229b0
        pid = 19, comm = fsck

panic: trap

I could arrange for a crash dump but given the nature of the pyxis bug I
think that that may not be very helpful? Anything else I could try?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)