Subject: scsi issues
To: Netbsd/Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Cohen <cohentl@lizard.price.clarkson.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/23/2000 00:35:07
Hey guys,
	I couldn't think of anyone better to ask, so I'm asking you :) I
have an AlphaStation 200. Internally, I have a 4 gig HD set as ID 0 and a
old cd drive set as ID 1. I'm using the cd drive to provide termination on
the internal chain. This works perfectly. I bought a Ricoh 7060S internal
CD-RW and decided to put it in an external enclosure. I hooked up a cable
to one connector on the external case and a terminator on the other
connecter. I hooked it up to the external scsi port and the system booted
fine. I powered down the system and the cdrw and when trying to turn it
back on, the video and keyboard never initialized. I ended up tracing the
problem down to the terminator. I replaced it and everything worked fine..
for the initial boot. After turning everything off and turning everything
back on, same thing.. no video and the system didn't boot. Replacing the
terminator again and the same thing happend. I decided to try the built in
terminator on the drive and the same thing happend.. worked once, then
never again. So I came to the obvious conclusion that something was
killing the terminators. So I guess my question is what is causing this?
Is it the drive killing the terminators or ? From Ricoh's website I see
that this burner has a SCSI-2 interface. This is compatible with the Fast
SCSI-2 interface on this system correct? I'm not too familiar with scsi so
hopefully this makes sense. Oh yeah, two of the terminators were passive
and one was active if that makes a different.

http://www.clarkson.edu/~cohentl
"Sometimes crazy things happen in circuits." - Muku, 1999
"The answers to lifes problems aren't at the bottom of bottles, they're on
 TV" - Homer J. Simpson