Subject: Re: Alpha assembly question...
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/17/2000 09:57:18
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:04:25 -0500
 "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> wrote:

 > Gotcha, thanks all.
 >
 > I didn't see the reference in the AARM appendix because "or" isn't in
 > the master index.
 >
 > Say, doesn't this code look a bit silly?:
 >
 >         or    $31, 1, $0   ;
 >         stq_c $0, 0($2)
 >         beq   $0, 2f
 >         bis   $31, $31, $1 ;
 >         mb
 >         jmp   $31, 4f
 >      2: or    $31, 1, $0   ;
 >      3: bis   $0, $0, $1   ; So, do we prefer "or" or "bis"? Dunno.

...well, it's a bit out of context... I.e. I don't see the ldq_l in that
code snippet (required for the stq_c)...

It's really hard to figure out exactly what that's doing, since, as I
said, there isn't really enough context here...

Attached below is the Alpha <machine/lock.h> from -current, which
contains the multiprocessor locking primitives that NetBSD/alpha has.

A quick rundown of what they do:

	cpu_simple_lock_init	Initialize a simple lock

	cpu_simple_lock		Lock a simple lock, spinning as
				long as necessary.  Note that when
				it's spinning waiting for a lock to
				be released, it doesn't use the
				load-locked instruction.  There's
				no need to, and load-locked is a bit
				more expensive to execute.

	cpu_simple_lock_try	Try to lock a simple lock, returning TRUE
				(non-zero) if it succeeds, FALSE (zero)
				if it fails

	cpu_simple_unlock	Release a simple lock

They are implemented using GCC's __asm facility.  I attempted to use
variable names (like t0, v0, etc.) that give the reader an idea of
what the intent of the register is.  Note that since the simplelock
struct in NetBSD uses an "int" as the data type, these locking primitives
use load-locked-long, not load-locked-quad (which would be a C `long').

Also, keep in mind that "beq X, Y" brances if X is equal to ZERO!  A lot
of people forget this (it's sort of backwards for most people's thinking :-)

...and a store-conditional places the value ZERO in the register when
the store FAILS.

/* $NetBSD: lock.h,v 1.4 1999/12/03 01:11:34 thorpej Exp $ */

/*-
 * Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * This code is derived from software contributed to The NetBSD Foundation
 * by Jason R. Thorpe of the Numerical Aerospace Simulation Facility,
 * NASA Ames Research Center.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *	This product includes software developed by the NetBSD
 *	Foundation, Inc. and its contributors.
 * 4. Neither the name of The NetBSD Foundation nor the names of its
 *    contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
 *    from this software without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE NETBSD FOUNDATION, INC. AND CONTRIBUTORS
 * ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
 * TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FOUNDATION OR CONTRIBUTORS
 * BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
 * CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
 * SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
 * INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
 * CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
 * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
 * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

/*
 * Machine-dependent spin lock operations.
 *
 * NOTE: We assume that SIMPLELOCK_UNLOCKED == 0, so we can simply
 * store `zero' to release a lock.
 */

#ifndef _ALPHA_LOCK_H_
#define	_ALPHA_LOCK_H_

static __inline void cpu_simple_lock_init __P((__volatile struct simplelock *))
	__attribute__((__unused__));
static __inline void cpu_simple_lock __P((__volatile struct simplelock *))
	__attribute__((__unused__));
static __inline int cpu_simple_lock_try __P((__volatile struct simplelock *))
	__attribute__((__unused__));
static __inline void cpu_simple_unlock __P((__volatile struct simplelock *))
	__attribute__((__unused__));

static __inline void
cpu_simple_lock_init(alp)
	__volatile struct simplelock *alp;
{

	__asm __volatile(
		"# BEGIN cpu_simple_lock_init\n"
		"	stl	$31, %0		\n"
		"	mb			\n"
		"	# END cpu_simple_lock_init"
		: "=m" (alp->lock_data));
}

static __inline void
cpu_simple_lock(alp)
	__volatile struct simplelock *alp;
{
	unsigned long t0;

	/*
	 * Note, if we detect that the lock is held when
	 * we do the initial load-locked, we spin using
	 * a non-locked load to save the coherency logic
	 * some work.
	 */

	__asm __volatile(
		"# BEGIN cpu_simple_lock\n"
		"1:	ldl_l	%0, %3		\n"
		"	bne	%0, 2f		\n"
		"	bis	$31, %2, %0	\n"
		"	stl_c	%0, %1		\n"
		"	beq	%0, 3f		\n"
		"	mb			\n"
		"	br	4f		\n"
		"2:	ldl	%0, %3		\n"
		"	beq	%0, 1b		\n"
		"	br	2b		\n"
		"3:	br	1b		\n"
		"4:				\n"
		"	# END cpu_simple_lock\n"
		: "=r" (t0), "=m" (alp->lock_data)
		: "i" (SIMPLELOCK_LOCKED), "1" (alp->lock_data));
}

static __inline int
cpu_simple_lock_try(alp)
	__volatile struct simplelock *alp;
{
	unsigned long t0, v0;

	__asm __volatile(
		"# BEGIN cpu_simple_lock_try\n"
		"1:	ldl_l	%0, %4		\n"
		"	bne	%0, 2f		\n"
		"	bis	$31, %3, %0	\n"
		"	stl_c	%0, %2		\n"
		"	beq	%0, 3f		\n"
		"	mb			\n"
		"	bis	$31, 1, %1	\n"
		"	br	4f		\n"
		"2:	bis	$31, $31, %1	\n"
		"	br	4f		\n"
		"3:	br	1b		\n"
		"4:				\n"
		"	# END cpu_simple_lock_try"
		: "=r" (t0), "=r" (v0), "=m" (alp->lock_data)
		: "i" (SIMPLELOCK_LOCKED), "2" (alp->lock_data));

	return (v0);
}

static __inline void
cpu_simple_unlock(alp)