Subject: Re: Alpha assembly question...
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/2000 21:04:25
On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:29:56AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> "bis" == logical sum
>
> "or" is an assembler macro for "bis"

Gotcha, thanks all.

I didn't see the reference in the AARM appendix because "or" isn't in
the master index.

Say, doesn't this code look a bit silly?:

        or    $31, 1, $0   ;
        stq_c $0, 0($2)
        beq   $0, 2f
        bis   $31, $31, $1 ;
        mb
        jmp   $31, 4f
     2: or    $31, 1, $0   ;
     3: bis   $0, $0, $1   ; So, do we prefer "or" or "bis"? Dunno.

Anyway, I made it this far in getting Postgres to run:

Initializing PostgreSQL Databases - this may take a few minutes...

We are initializing the database system with username pgsql (uid=268).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/base

Creating template database in /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/base/template1

FATAL: s_lock(20318030) at spin.c:114, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

FATAL: s_lock(20318030) at spin.c:114, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
Abort trap
initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /usr/pkg/pgsql/data/base/template1
*** Error code 1

"How can a child 'just say no' when even the adults cannot because our
corporate-owned culture buys and sells the public as easily as it does
the Congress?" - from a letter to US News + World Reports, Dec 13 1999