Subject: Re: BA-350-SA pinouts
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/2000 08:35:24
On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:57:31AM +1000, Ray Phillips wrote:
> Dear Port Alpha:
>
> I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me (or tell me where to find)
> the pinouts for the DIN 41612 connectors used by the DEC BA350-SA Modular
> Storage Shelf.

That is DEC/CPQ  proprietary information. You won't find it outside CPQ
(at least not officially). Keep in mind that BA350 is a narrow-only
backplane, most likely (backplane revision dependent) you cannot even
use the newer wide-SCSI devices in it.

> I do have one RZ26-VA module which came with my system and I ordered some
> cable assemblies from DEC using the part number from that, but the ones I
> received were a later revision.  They use a Flat Flexible Cable connector
> to connect to the disk's SCSI ID pins and the LEDs on the front of the
> module, plus there's an IC on the flexible printed circuit board that isn't

There is a PAL that controls the second LED (the amber one). It is used to
talk to the faultbus that the DEC RAID controllers use. Don't worry about it
as you won't use it with a plain SCSI adapter. The flex wires are drive type
dependent (the older ones at least; the SCA flexes are a godsend in this
respect). The smaller flex for the LEDs is even more drive specific.

> on my original -- mine just has an empty space for the IC.  I guess it's
> too much to hope that someone might have a circuit diagram for the old
> and/or new cable assembly?

Nope.

> Actually I think I've found out enough to proceed just by comparing my
> original to the new ones but I'm not sure about a couple of things.  One
> minor point is: the LED on the far left of a disk Storage Works module
> flashes when the disk is being accessed, but what's the right-hand LED for?

Faultbus.

How many flexwires do you need? Maybe I can help you.

Wilko
--
Wilko Bulte 					Arnhem, The Netherlands
    						WWW : http://www.tcja.nl