Subject: Re: New Multia firmware and netbooting revisited
To: None <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Graham Allan <allan@mnhep.hep.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2000 00:05:04
In message <20000208023434.50CA61B35@mabelode.imrryr.org> you wrote:

> On 949976788 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> Graham Allan wrote:
> >
> >This gets you "DEC AXPpci233 MT Common Console X4.5-819", which does
> >netboot sucessfully; at least it does download the netboot second stage
> >bootstrap. I haven't got it to proceed further than this; could this be
> >because I am using dhcpd instead of bootpd on my server?
>
> The problem that you'd see if the firmware doesn't DTRT is basically
> this.  I'd try one of the netboot blocks and hard-code the ethernet
> address in and see if that helps.
> http://www.imrryr.org/NetBSD/alpha/netboot/
> (Set broken firmware to no, or experiment.)

I wondered about that, but assumed this wasn't the problem (I should try
a hardcoded netboot loader anyway, probably). After the initial load,
the 2nd stage loader does report the hardware address correctly (SRM
3.8-2 or -3 doesn't do this), and in the logs of the ISC DHCP server I
can see further DHCP requests from the Multia. The DHCP server replies
to these but for some reason the Multia decides there's "no response
from the bootp server". That's what made me wonder if it was close to
working but didn't understand the dhcpd response well enough.

Graham