Subject: Re: 3000/300 : SCSI speed & RAM questions
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/01/2000 10:33:49
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, nm wrote:

=> >I've never tried it, though.  I think nmanisca@vt.edu had tried a standard
=> >32mb simm on his new 3000 without luck, so YMMV WTR simms, qed :-)
=>
=> Right Jon, most 'standard' 32MB parity simms will be recognized as
=> 8MB simms.  They will function perfectly as 8MB simms btw.
=>
=> You can use 'standard' 8MB simms just find, but if you want 32MB
=> simms in there you need to make sure that they implement the presence
=> detect bits.

Another thing to note is that the DEC 3000/300 manual says to add all
the 32 MB memory before the 8 MB memory (i.e., in pairs in the
lower-numbered banks).  I also recall it saying there should be no
gaps between banks, too.

I don't know if this is significant, but I thought it worth pointing
out.  (Aren't there some DECstations that are fussy about mixing
memory types?)

FWIW, I have two 32 MB SIMMs (bought on eBay) and some 8 MB SIMMs
coexisting happily in my DEC 3000/300.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu