Subject: What I did on a snowy day in DC.
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: HerbalGypsy/justbob <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/27/2000 16:24:21
I did all my honey-do stuff because I was trapped in the house with all
the snow and now cleared roads.  Enough coffee, snacks, good music, and
time on my hands.

I had picked up this PC164/500 from sysmerica via ebay.  picked up a box
with on/off switch and had them both sitting around kind of calling me.

I had picked up a cdrom writer and popped it into my pc a couple of
weeks ago.

Went and downloaded the 1.4.1 iso image and burned a cd.
I plugged in my s3virge card, 64MB ram, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and
floppy.
Hooked up an IDE cdrom and WD ide drive to my 164.
Cut the two boot floppies on the pc using rawrite.
cut the srm floppy for the pc164.
loaded the srm.
put the 1.4.1 cd in the cd drive.
booted the 1.4.1 floppies. That took something like 10 or 15 minutes.
No big thing, It took a bit to do the multia last year.
But then...
what should appear on my screen but an automated install process.
Honestly, approx 15 minutes later I was tuning my system and figuring
out how to build my custom kernel.
My compliments to the 1.4.1 team.
My compliments to the alpha port team!!
This beats my 28 tries to put netbsd on the first time on my uVII!
man !! this beast has evolved.
I am not sure if it is just the 500mhz alpha or the changes made to make
this beast so quick!
Now i intend to see if I can get that bit of pppoe code running on the
alpha!!
Thanks again!!
bob