Subject: Re: Problems with tosha on alpha
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/24/2000 11:41:40
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Curt Sampson wrote:

> When I run tosha on my fairly current alpha with a SCSI CD-ROM and
> an Adaptec 2940, it reads the table of contents just fine, but when
> I start reading a track, it panics the system. I get:
>
>     cd1(ahc0:6:0): timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x44
>     cd1(ahc0:6:0): asserted ATN - device reset in message buffer
>     cd1(ahc0:6:0): host adapter code inconsistency
>     panic: ahc0: Timed-out command times out again
>
>     Stopped at      cpu_Debugger+0x4:       ret     zero,(ra)
>     db> trace
>     cpu_Debugger() at cpu_Debugger+0x4
>     panic() at panic+0xe4
>     ahc_timeout() at ahc_timeout+0x8c
>     softclock() at softclock+0xb0
>     hardclock() at hardclock+0x230
>     interrupt() at interrupt+0x88
>     XentInt() at XentInt+0x1c
>     --- interrupt (from ipl 0) ---
>     idle() at idle+0x24
>     mi_switch() at mi_switch+0x1c0
>     tsleep() at tsleep+0x2b0
>     sched_sync() at sched_sync+0x2d4
>     esigcode() at esigcode
>     --- root of call graph ---
>     db>
>
> This happens on two different SCSI CD-ROM drives:
>
>     ahc0:A:0: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
>     ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 8.0MHz, offset = 0xf
>     cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <, CD-R/RW RW7040S, 1.10> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
>
>     ahc0:A:6: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
>     ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 4.4MHz, offset = 0x8
>     cd1 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <PIONEER, CD-ROM DR-124X, 1.01> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
>
> The latter drive works fine with tosha on a fairly current i386
> system using an NCR 53c820. I'll try dropping that card in my alpha
> and see if it makes a difference. However, if anyone can fix this,
> I'd appreciate it. I'm happy to do testing and whatnot, and I can
> even make the system (with a serial console) available across a
> reasonably fast Internet connection.

I've had a similar problem with tosha, a NCR 53C875 and a Pioneer DVD-ROM.
The problem was that the NCR sometimes got timeout at the start of a
track. I simply changed the timeout in tosha from 2 seconds to 10 seconds,
and I've never seen the problem since. It seems as if this has something
to do with the spindown/spinup time of the Pioneer.

By the way, the ncr driver couldn't handle these timeouts at all (current
from october), and the ncr driver in newer current doesn't work properly
for me. Disk transfers locks up for one or two seconds quite often, just
ssh:ing into the machine takes about 10 seconds with current. When is the
ncr driver going to be stable?

> cjs
> --
> Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.