Subject: Re: Has anyone tried NetBSD on a 600au?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/20/2000 12:03:46
> >I have it running fine on a pair of them.  I use the serial port.
> >I don't know anything about displays.

> Uh, not at all?  I mean, doesn't it _come_ with a graphics card by
> default?

Yes, but I removed it so I could put in another network card.

[The machine is down in a lab.  The display doesn't do any good when
I'm up in my office accessing it over the net.]

> >I had trouble with a 3rd 600au system.  I forget the fine print but
> >I think I can look it up.  It was something about the firmware setting
> >something up in a strange mode.  A simple edit and kernel rebuild
> >fixed things.

> Kinda hard to do when you're trying to install, unfortunately.  Sounds
> like the 600au is a lost cause :-(

I was fortunate enough to have another machine available that didn't
have the problem.  I probably would have given up too without it.

I fished through my old mail.  They symptoms were crisp - a panic
pretty early during startup:

  cia0: using BWX for PCI config access
  sio_intr_setup: 1 LT!
  sio_sis: initial: ocw = (a3,ff), elcr = ( 2,14)
           current: ocw = (a3,ff), elcr = ( 0,14)
  panic: sio_setirqstat: hosed

The fix (from Ross Harvey) was:

        [1] Edit arch/alpha/pci/sio_pic.c and take out the define for
            BROKEN_PROM_CONSOLE (or make it xxBROKEN_PROM_CONSOLE)