Subject: Re: DEC 3000 M300X
To: Stephane Mottelet <stephane.mottelet@utc.fr>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/13/2000 08:36:24
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Stephane Mottelet wrote:

> 	I am the (happy ?) owner of a DEC 3000 M300X. I wonder if
> It is worth doing something with it or not. Until now, I didn't
> really understand if there exists a (free) X server for this machine.
> Anyone ?

	AFAIK there is no X server for these machines in 1.4.1; I cannot
comment about -current, however, so someone else must speak up there.

	As far as if it's worth doing anything with them, I guess it
depends on what you'll need to do.  I've got two 3000/300X's at home and
their rock solid servers.  Never a crash, never a problem.  I just throw
an x term in front of them, and they work fantastically for hack-value
terminals (as well as for some real-world tasks).

	Hope this helps.  Let me know if I can help with any install
issues if you plan to netboot them. (I've gone through the whole netboot
thing a few times, and I have it down almost to an instinct by now :-)

-Jon Lindgren
 "Xyzzy!  You're a duck!"
 jlindgren@espus.com, yubyub@yubyub.net